Last year this time, our whole family was gathered at the beach in Destin for Thanksgiving. We made lots of memories, enjoyed the sun, and swam in the heated pool, and ocean (even though it was cold).
This year we are back in Nepal for Thanksgiving, celebrating on our own.
In comparing the two, certainly last year wins out, hands down.
Yet, I’m reminded that being thankful is a choice.
So as I sat outside enjoying the sun today, I made a list of the things I have to be thankful for here.
- Faithful friends and family back home who pray for us and support us, here.
- The beautiful snow cap mountains of the Himalayas.
- The chance to be His hands and feet.
- Experiencing life abroad.
- Memories made with my family unlike any other.
- Knowing and loving the generous people here.
- Pottery class I get to take for our visa.
- Kid’s ministry at our local church.
- Teaching others God’s Word.
- The rich blessing of God’s faithfulness that is present both here and there
No, this Thanksgiving won’t be like the ones we celebrate back in the States, but it will still be a day to give thanks to the Lord for all He has done.
His everlasting love, marvelous mercy, glorious grace, and faithfulness are reasons enough to give thanks, and yet, He has blessed us with oh so much more!
How about you? What things are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?
We always have reason to be thankful!